Safety Manager - California
The Safety Manager will act as a primary resource ensuring that the HSE (Health, Safety & Environment) Program of Rokstad is endorsed and complied with during operational activities. This role will communicate with local management on related initiatives and issues. The primary responsibility will be to provide support to the local team and coordinate site safety requirements so that operational activities are adequately supported. The successful candidate must have a passion for safety and for creating safe work environments for employees and must be able to thrive in a dynamic and demanding work environment.
We have 2 positions available. One is in Bishop, CA and the other is in Mammoth, CA
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Support field staff in safe operations that meet regulatory requirements;
• Visit field sites on a daily basis, participating and conducting safety meetings, reviewing safety initiatives with field employees and conducting audit and safety reviews;
• Conduct job hazard assessments and help crews understand the importance of, and the concepts of, Field Level Hazard Assessments;
• Conduct workplace and jobsite safety inspections;
• Conduct detailed incident investigations for injuries, property damage, and near miss incidents and report on findings including identifying causal factors and corrective actions;
• Assist in the development of Safe Work Practices and Safe Job Procedures;
• Assess and ensure compliance to applicable safety legislation, and internal and customer protocols;
• Assist in the development of health and safety performance measures, monitor and report on performance;
• Work with the crew leaders in a coaching and guiding role to increase field level safety knowledge and presence;
• Attend Tailboard meetings, HSE training and orientations;
• Review Health & Safety related paperwork including tailboards, FLHA’s, inspections, etc.;
• Recommend corrective actions and assist in timely implementation of corrective actions;
• Provide input and assistance for HSE Business Plan initiatives;
• Work with colleagues and our clients to complete Project Safety Plans, Hazard Assessments and Risk Registries for Critical Tasks;
• Help develop protocols for HSE Audits;
• Support the Return to Work program and processes;
• Work with internal and external stakeholders to address HSE related issues;
• Ensure that HSE Management and project management are kept informed of HSE issues in a timely manner;
• Other related duties as required.
• Extensive working knowledge of occupational health and safety legislation and its application to the construction industry;
• Excellent communication skills (both verbal and written);
• Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Office, specifically Excel
• Strong organizational and planning skills;
• Strong management, interpersonal, and influencing skills at all levels from the construction site to the boardroom;
• Proven skill in the development, implementation and management of HSE management systems;
• Knowledge and experience with HSE management systems and audit tools including the construction industry Certificate of Recognition (COR); OHSAS 18001 or CSA Z1000 and ISO 14001;
• Demonstrated ability to deal with conflict, able to effectively communicate ideas and be an active listener;
• Knowledge and understanding of DOT Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations;
• Strong trend and data analytical skills to drive program and process changes;
• Proven problem-solving skills with the ability to visualize and deliver creative solutions;
• Extensive knowledge of OSHA and other applicable federal, state and local safety regulations and standards;
• Valid driver’s license.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND/OR CREDENTIALS
• Degree in Health and Safety or Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) Management;
• Certified Safety Professional (CSP), Canadian Registered Safety Professional (CRSP), National Construction Safety Officer (NCSO) or other applicable qualification/designation;
• Minimum 5 years of directly related experience;
• Strong claims management experience;
• Knowledge of HSE regulations, codes, practices and standards;
• Experience in the electrical construction trades industry an asset.
• Willing to travel and work in remote locations for extended periods;
• Safety equipment will be required, e.g. steel-toed safety boots, safety glasses/goggles, etc.;
• Hazards associated with the trade;
• Work both indoors and outdoors.
Rokstad offers a competitive compensation and benefits package which will be commensurate with experience and education.
If you are looking for an exciting career with a fast growing progressive company, please email your resume to email@example.com or fax 1-888-310-8831. Please include the job title in the email subject line.
We thank all applicants for showing an interest in this position. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.